Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remember the Good



David says in Psalms 77:11, "I recall the many miracles God has done for me. They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about them." Talk about an attitude of gratitude! David constantly remembered the good. What an example! When I remember the good things in my life, I am so grateful. I remember the sad times too when God carried me through them to a sweet spot. One of the loneliest times of my life occurred when my girls grew up and moved away. I was in Lodgepole, Nebraska, and my daughters moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas. I missed them so much. My first grandchild was born to Teresa in Arkansas while I still lived in Nebraska. Oh, how I longed to be with my family! Then Teresa had a pulmonary embolism. It was one of the scariest times of my life. I flew down to Arkansas to be with her and my new granddaughter while she was in the hospital. Later when she was released from the hospital, I went back to that small Nebraska town where I had taught English for fourteen years, but I found that I could no longer endure the separation from my daughters and little granddaughter Jessica. So I decided to resign from teaching in Lodgepole and move to Fort Smith, Arkansas. It was already summer, and I wondered if the schools in Fort Smith had already hired all the teachers for the fall. I filled out applications for the schools but took a minimum wage job for the summer. I was concerned about how I would survive on that wage when one of the junior high schools responded to my application. I had an interview! Every one told me that it would be very hard to get the job because there were a lot of applicants. I had God's favor, though, and landed a job at the junior high. It was awesome! I now lived close to my daughters and granddaughter. I was thrilled. Before long, I met Frank, my wonderful husband. God turned my loneliness and my daughter's health issue into something beautiful. Teresa recovered and my lonely life was suddenly full to the brim! Talk about God directing my steps and giving me such blessings in His perfect timing. Wow! What an encouragement that is for me even to this very day! I thank God for what He has done. That memory causes me to dwell on God's goodness so I can stay in an attitude of faith and victory. The pictures above show Teresa, Jessica, and me years later climbing around on Mt. Evans in Colorado.

It's good to write down how God answers our prayers. In our bible study group, at one time we were encouraged to keep our worries in a notebook and pray over them. Then when God answered them, we recorded that. It was amazing what an encouragement that notebook was for me. Every time I got it out and read how God worked out every situation, I was so encouraged. I started to call it my blessing notebook. Joel Osteen says, "When you recall how God opened this door for you, protected you over here, restored you over there, healed you here, your faith will increase....He is holding you in the palm of His hand, and He will take care of you." Yes, Lord, help me to always remember the good that You have done. Thank YOU, LORD!!

No comments: