Monday, April 13, 2009

Stay Passionate about Life


How do we keep our enthusiasm for life? I think the best thing we can do is be grateful. Life has its share of disappointments, to be sure, but there are so many blessings as well. If we focus on the blessings, we can't help but be thankful for life and love.

For those of us who have significant others, when we think back to when the relationship was new, we can't help but remember how wonderful it felt when our love called us or held our hand or any number of little things that made our heart race. We need to rekindle that flame and remember how fortunate we are to have someone in our lives. There are so many lonely people in this world.

Even if everything in our life is not perfect, we can be happy. We have discussed the idea before that we have a choice about our feelings. Joel Osteen says, "Quit looking at what's wrong in your life and start being grateful for what's right."

If we have a job, we need to remember that in these challenging economic times, many people would love to have our job. When I walk into the classroom, I always smile because I know that at least one of my students is going to smile back. Smiles are contagious.

Romans 12:11 says, "Never lag in zeal, but be aglow and on fire serving the Lord." Before I get out of bed in the morning, I start counting my blessings. My body is healthy; I have a wonderful family; I have an awesome home; my car works; I have food to eat......well, you get the point.....so many things! "This is the day that the Lord hath made. I will be glad and rejoice in it."

Isaiah 1:19 says, "When we are willing and obedient, we will eat the good of the land." What that means to me is that I need to have a good attitude! It's a privilege to go to work. It's a privilege to live in this great country. There are so many things I get to do. If I keep my perspective and say, "I get to do_____instead of I have to do_______," it makes a huge difference. I get to fix breakfast and make coffee in the morning; I get to go to school and teach awesome kids; I get to run an errand for my husband; I get to take my granddaughter to an appointment. Joel says, "When you focus on the good, that's when you bolster your enthusiasm and passion."

It's spring now, and everywhere we look, we can see the miracle of new life. We need to cultivate a spirit of thankfulness. Colossians 3:2 says "to set your mind and keep it set on the higher things." Let's stay passionate about life!

No comments: