Friday, June 5, 2009

All Things in Moderation


"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand," says Paul in the King James Version of Philippinas 4:5. The dictionary says that moderation is the avoidance of extremes, or the practice of calmness. Aw, yes, calmness and serenity....I like that! I have my three granddaughters staying with me this week, ages three to fourteen, and believe it or not, I have found such peacefulness. For one thing, the older ones help a lot with the youngest one. To keep the house serene, we practice moderation...not too much sugar, enough sleep, and healthy food. The youngest two granddaughters are vegetarians so their eating style helps us all eat a little healthier. Last night Hubby fixed delicious eggplant parmigiana. It's been a while since I've had that, and it was yummy. Another part of this moderation is to stay in the flow....not too much excitement before bedtime, no mommy calls after six p.m., and no loud screamo music from the teenage granddaughter. Still, another very important part of staying moderate is to make sure I get some time to refresh my spiritual self....so I practice meditation as I perform simple tasks like dishes, etc. I also try staying in the present moment so I can enjoy each moment with them. While I am bathing the three year old, I pay attention to her chatter. She says the cutest things. This morning she told me that she loves me to the moon and back, and even to the grass and back. She also asks if she could wake the older girls and tell them that the sun woke up. Oh, the joy of grandchildren. "We were gentle among you, like a nurse tenderly caring for her own children," says Paul in I Thessalonians 2:7. Lastly, I relax, realizing the divine order of everything. Peace fills my soul, and I am grateful to be a nana. I feel energized and ready for anything. These bright little angels are my heritage, and I love them so much!! :) In YOUR BEST LIFE NOW, Joel asks what we are passing down to the next generation. My hope is that I am passing down the blessing of doing things in moderation with peace of mind.

No comments: