Monday, May 11, 2009

Do You See Roses or Thorns?


"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses" ~ Ziggy (Tom Wilson). I just spent Mother's Day with my mom, and as much as I hate to admit it, it had been a long time since I had done that. It was such a wonderful day. My mom has every reason to complain. She has cancer and diabetes, but her optimistic outlook is amazing. She really does see the roses instead of the thorns. It reminds me of the story of Joshua and Caleb. Ten spies went out to check out the land of Canaan, and eight came back saying that while the land was flowing with milk and honey, the enemies were too formidable to overcome. Caleb and Joshua, however, came back saying while the Canaanites were a very strong people, the two of them were well able to possess the land. That's the way Mom views life. She knows her health issues are nothing to sneeze at, but she also knows that she has handled many obstacles in her life thus far.....and she isn't about to let her health challenges get her down. Thank You, Lord, for mothers. What an example of strength my mother is!

No comments: